Well, hello there abandoned blog. I’m back today with the list I’ve had in my head for awhile and wanted to look back and remember.
So, without further adieu….my TOP lessons learned on maternity leave…
1. One week(ish) of your 12 weeks is spent in the hospital. This seems crazy, but also necessary to recover from surgery and get the hang of your newborn. Before delivering Landon, I never really thought that I would be seeing a week vanish before my eyes before we had him home.
2. Driving home from the hospital will be one of the most surreal experiences of your life. “YES, we’re going home…BUT we’re bringing another human home with us.” I will always cherish that ride home. We were finally a family of three outside of the hospital and so ready to spend time on the couch together.
3. You will be so thankful for your husband and he will drive you batshit crazy all in the same 30 seconds. Ultimately, the thankfulness prevails…thank goodness.
4. I’ve never run a marathon, but I imagine that nursing goes along with the same concepts. Once you have the hang of it, it has been WEEKS and you are EXHAUSTED but the victory will be one of the proudest times of your life.
5. All of the baby gear that you didn’t want in your house will somehow end up there….and it will save your ever-loving mind on those days when you want to curl up in a ball and cry.
6. All of those pounds that you wished away will come off, but the after effects are much different than your “before body”. Yoga pants are your friend.
7. Taking a shower will be like an obstacle course and when you visit family, you will be so excited to take a shower for as long as you want while they spoil your little guy.
8. You will get teased endlessly for your strategic OCD placement of pacifiers throughout your house, but you will be thanked when you know where one is at 2 AM while sleep walking.
9. The texts/visits/phone calls from family and friends of love and encouragement mean the world to you from before your little guy was born straight though all the ups and downs of leave. I am vowing to remember this for my family and friends.
10. It will be the dumbest idea you’ve ever had to not plan the birth of your newborn around your husband’s busy season, but you will get through it…..even if it means crying in the Starbucks drive-thru on Christmas Eve.
11. Those that bring you meals….they are saints.
12. The last day of maternity leave is so bitter sweet. You will cry and hold your little guy more than you should – even through naps, but it will be your last cherished memories of that time.
We are all back to work at this point…and sleepy. Landon is enjoying his first full week of daycare and I’m hoping they sleep train him like a soldier. ha!
Stay crazy, friends.